Our work to engage communities began in 2001 before the formal registration of Spirit of Peace as a charity. Much of this work was stimulated by visits to the UK by our international peace partners. Inspired by their work it became clear that communities over here wish to use similar means and methods to create more harmonious and flourishing communities in the UK.
Spirit of Peace has created a programme to addresses the causes of social tension and exclusion in our communities in the UK.
The majority of our workshops, events and presentations have been undertaken on themes related to peace, nonviolence and global citizenship and learning from and about the situation in the Middle East. They have been carried out in the context of multi-ethnic and mixed cultural groups fostering understanding, dialogue, respect and co-operation within the groups present.
Innovative activities have been aimed at promoting friendship, inclusion, confidence within disadvantaged groups, stronger communities and an appreciation of cultural diversity, and these activities have included members of socially excluded groups.
Regular and special events include:
- Bring and Share community suppers in partnership with The Friendship Cafe, Gloucester
- Monthly Conversation Event in Stroud
- Presentations by international peace builders and others on work for peace and human flourishing in the UK and Middle East
- Workshops and training in the skills for creating communities of safety and human flourishing
- Training in Kingian nonviolence in partnership with Dr Ben Israel
- Bringing communities together around the theme of Flourishing for all and to engage with the worldwide Compassionate Communities/Cities Initiative
For more details of our work, please explore the Projects and Partners pages of our website.